Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Adding to Our "Teacher Toolbox"

I recall sitting in class and hastily writing down every strategy my past professors spewed at me as an undergraduate student. Because they talked so highly of certain strategies (yes, even KWL), and how my future students would be able to read, write, and comprehend so much more with the aid of these strategies, I assumed all my students would be able to actively engage with whatever text I gave them immediately after introducing the strategy. While some of the strategies I have learned have indeed proven to be extremely effective, after teaching for only a few short years, I have quickly come to realize that literacy goes far beyond compiling a “toolbox of strategies” that will serve as a remedy for all my students’ needs. Speaking of toolboxes, I still remember a group project Richard and I were apart of during our first education class. For the presentation, we created a giant toolbox with various tools (different strategies) that we thought would “fix” all of our classroom literacy problems. If only it were that easy.

I am not saying strategies are not beneficial. Instead, I feel that teachers need to remember that it takes more than just content strategy-based instruction to help students move from learning to read to efficiently reading to learn. As mentioned in class, the best teacher is not the one that uses twenty or more strategies all in one day’s lesson. It will require more to prepare students to become truly literate today, which Goldman defines as “being able to use reading and writing to acquire knowledge, solve problems, and make decisions in academic, personal, and professional arenas” (2).

    Goldman focuses on three major types of instruction that can help students reach this type of literacy when used together: strategy, discussion, and disciplinary content-based instruction. Besides giving clearly explained examples of all three types of instruction and how the combination of the three help students become literate members of society, she also comments on the fact that many teachers have little experience with really thinking about how they read a text, which would be different than how someone else in a different discipline would read that same text. I could not agree more with that statement; although this is still a hot topic in the educational realm, when I was studying to become a teacher just a few years ago, I was not practicing disciplinary content-based instruction. Instead, I felt that there was more of a focus on general strategies that usually did not lead to a deeper understanding or interpretation of text.

There is also mentioning of the need for more professional development for teachers in order to foster this type of learning environment within their own classrooms. I also think it would be beneficial for undergraduate professors teaching future teachers to also incorporate more discipline and discussion-based instruction into their curriculum, along with the strategy-based instruction that most of us are familiar with.


4 comments:

  1. I totally agree with your blog post regarding the instruction methodologies. Something that stuck to me in your write up was when you mentioned, "I feel that teachers need to remember that it takes more than just content strategy-based instruction to help students move from learning to read to efficiently reading to learn." Learning to read and Reading to learn.. sounds like a tongue twister but yes, makes lot of sense. I think it is important for us, teachers to make sure each and every student in our class is able to read, irrespective of the level in which he/she is reading. In one of the articles, there was a note on students saying that they read the story but did not understand the story at all. I think in our everyday class, we tend to ignore this fact and blame the child that he/she was not concentrating or was easily distracted. I love how you ended the blog post giving solutions and ideas to curb many of the issues we come across in class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you that instruction that enhances disciplinary reading is more that just a set of tools in the toolbox. The "toolbox" implies that these strategies are used at specific times rather than integrated into the curriculum. The set of tools or strategies need to be out all the time in order weave literacy into the disciplinary instruction.
    I think the three strategies for disciplinary literacy would be extremely beneficial, but these three strategies can be intertwined together. Of course, content needs to be focused on and taught, but this can be accomplished through reading and discussing.
    I really like your idea of professors incorporating these strategies into their classrooms. This would be useful in not just to teaching the strategies, but also to having the students experience this type of learning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The teacher toolkit we were all provided with after studying education is very useful. I remember when I got my first teaching job in third grade I still didn't feel like I had everything I needed to help my students learn how to read better. Sometimes it felt like the strategies were not applicable to helping them learn how to read. My teacher education hadn't prepared me for teaching reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is important to realize, as you commented, that not all strategies, or even one in particular, will solve the literacy problem that stumps students. We, as teachers, need to be aware that students may not come into the classroom with the same experience and expertise that we do in our discipline. For example, Sophia will have a much stronger understanding of deciphering novels and looking for certain english related content, were I, with a biology background, am much better and reading and understanding science texts and scientific journals. So we need to show students that reading in one subject is not that same as in another. I would have a hard time reading and deeply understanding a classic novel, where Sophia may have a difficult time reading a textbook about mitosis and being able to say she understands it completely. We all have our expertise which means students as well will have different interests in what they are willing to read and learn. So, if we teach them the best and most efficient way to read for your class, they then will be able to grasp your subject in a more meaningful and easier way. Which, all in all, is what students want and need.

    ReplyDelete