Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Critical Literacy and Advertisement Analysis


          It is estimated that we see 3,000 to 20,000 advertisements each day.  However, we are not able to process each of these advertisements.  In reality, the number of advertisements we are actually aware of seeing and that actually push their messages on us is closer to 300-700 advertisements.  As such, it is important that we are aware of what we are looking at.  Inappropriate advertisements have become such a common occurrence.  Especially in a country, like the United states, driven by capitalism.  While we as consumers may be purchasing these products out of our own free will, we must try to critically analyze what we are really buying.


          The first thing I think about when I see this advertisements is "sex".  This bothers me.  I expect to see something about the product or maybe at least the company that sells this product.  The first thing I want to do is analyze why I think about sex and whether other people also think the same way as me.  The font that says "It'll blow your mind away" sticks out to me.  Why did they choose those words?  It sounds suggestive.  Also, the way the shading is done on this picture really draws the eyes to the woman and the sandwich.  Everything else is darkened.  This is a very suggestive image as well.  Certainly it is implying that the woman is about to do more than just eat the the sandwich.  She looks very surprised and almost concerned that she is about to "eat" this Super Seven Incher.  I also wondered why she is wearing so much makeup to go to Burger King.  Her lipstick looks freshly applied and she is wearing blush and mascara.  Her eyebrows even look touched up.  Clearly she was expecting to get a lot for $6.25.  There is so much more to be analyzed in this picture but I have already drawn some conclusions from it.  The target audience is men.  Burger King is not selling the Super Seven Incher, but rather they are selling their true message of sex.  If men can associate something (like a sandwich) with something that they enjoy (like sex), then why won't they enjoy the sandwich.  I also wonder about how this feels from a woman's perspective.  I imagine it might feel very disrespectful.  Even to the point where a woman may now not buy this product.  I wonder how effective this advertisement was.


          Here is another example of a controversial advertisement.  It reads, "PlayStation Portable White is Coming".  It shows a white woman holding a black man by the chin in a very threatening way.
          While I will not go into much detail about this image, I am very curious to hear what people think about this advertisement.  Please comment on this post so I can hear your opinions.


          I did choose some of the more extreme and controversial advertisements I could find.  However, I did this to prove a point.  These advertisements are everywhere and the more subtle they are in delivering their true message, the more effective they will be.  The more we become aware of what we are being exposed to 300-700 times each day, the more control we will have on what products we buy, and what messages we are trying to support.




References:

http://www.businessinsurance.org/9-controversial-ads-that-overshadowed-their-product/
http://blog.telesian.com/how-many-advertisements-do-we-see-each-day/

5 comments:

  1. Okay first, I cannot believe that Burger King advertisement is real, it's ridiculous. After reading your article it's clear that we are inundated with all of this information designed to influence how we behave and what choices we make. I wonder if there's a solution to this. I know some cities like Sao Paulo, Brazil, the mayor banned all forms of outdoor advertising, and what resulted was a drastic change to the look and feel of the city. Would NYC be the same without the ridiculous screens and lights?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What an interesting idea. I think in greatly depends on the type of advertisements. The screens and lights in NYC are a major tourist attraction. It is what brings a lot of money to the businesses and the city itself. It does make you wonder though how advertisements and visuals can completely change the dynamic of even a single intersection.

      Delete
  2. http://banbillboardblight.org/video/sao-paulo-before-and-after/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It almost looks like a new city without the advertisements. I think if that suddenly happened in Chicago, I would feel uncomfortable at first... almost as though things are not right. I would get used to it though and probably enjoy a much cleaner view of buildings and benches and everything!

      Delete
  3. A few years ago I took a class regarding how advertisements relate to a person's life. Of course there are other aspects that advertisers use to lure people into buying their products; examples include catchy jingles or relatable images/ experiences to name a quick few. However, as expected, sex is used a lot, possibly most often. Sex sells - a common theme during the course. Advertisers know this simple two word phrase and use it to promote their products because it is attractive to the audience at large. With the increase of advertising happening across the city (I believe it was just a few short months ago the City approved an increase to the number of billboards that will be lining our expressways) I can only wonder what new messages we will face.

    With that said, the Playstation advertisement opens a new door to whom they are trying to reach and the method of reaching that audience. First, I personally do not know what they are trying to advertise. Second, why are they choosing to advertise their product in such a manner? Third, the message is very appalling.

    ReplyDelete