Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Don't Reinvent the Wheel

The idea of perfection is so romanticized and valued in today’s society that the implications preceding it are often forgotten.  I am in no way implying I am perfect- I am quite the opposite.  I am clumsy, forgetful, out of shape, lack self-discipline (which is why I’ve procrastinated to doing this assignment on the day of at 9:25 am), and, probably the worst, not creative.  One could argue that in order to be a good scientist, one needs to be extremely creative to deduct reasoning and formulate experiments.  I can do those things when pressured, but they never come easily to me.  The more positive traits I do have are willingness and persistence.  No matter how much I “suck” at something, I always try really hard and work at it.  I spend a lot of time and energy on my homework assignments, I attempt doing physical activity every day, and I try to be kind to everyone.  I try so hard at doing well in my current role, whether it be student, teacher, sister, or daughter, that it usually strains me out or my anxiety symptoms, usually just somatoformic disorders, kick in (funny that we covered this in class).  There does a lie a sliver of hope for me, and while I had known about it for quite some time, I was never able to put it into words until Mr. Steven Kushner, during lecture on June 30, 2014, said it himself, “You do not have to reinvent the wheel.”  He was, of course, referring to the world of academics and our role as teachers in that crazy, test-driven planet.  These words, while I had always knew about the context they’re defining, really put teaching intro perspective to me.  In Kelly Gallagher’s book, Write Like This, chapter one, he magnifies the importance of a teacher being the best writer in the room and serving as an example to the students by not only modeling to them writing, but doing think-alouds while writing.  This connects to my recent epiphany because it’s introduced to me the idea that I don’t have to go scavenging for ideas on how to teach my students to be better writers or spellers, I don’t need to spend money on dozens of books or expensive computer software.  I am the resource.  I’m a pretty darn good one too.  I like to believe I’m a wonderful writer: I can argue well enough to make a lawyer sweat, I can control my tone, captivate readers, and express myself.  Years of science classes have also made my writing clear, direct, and precise.  The vulnerability of my weaknesses being display to my students is overcome by the benefit of them seeing that everyone can struggle with writing, and that it’s a process.  This echoes the idea that we need to be writing as a process and not writing as a product.  When I am modeling to my students, they will be able to clearly hear and see how writing is a way of knowing and takes steps forwards and backwards, and even retracing your steps.  Besides using myself as a resource, I’ve also learned that there are an infinite amount of lesson plans, activities, and study guides on the internet that I can use at my disposal.  As much as I want to help my kids and be a great teacher, I don’t have to pull my hair out every night trying to invent teaching techniques.  I can just open up Google Chrome and search for what I am looking for.  Quizlet is also a great resource that my students can navigate themselves as a learning tool.  And the best part is, the information they need is probably already there and they won’t have to take the time to enter it in themselves.  Some of the websites I’ve discovered since my epiphany, are Scholastic, Discovery Education, and The Teacher’s Corner, all of which are linked here.  There are also other learning tools that exist, such as the vocabulary strategies contextual redefinition, word slap, and Greek/Latin roots.  I can also use writing prompts, quick writes, admit slips, and RAFT (Role/Audience/Form/Topic) to teach my students.  Gallagher also stresses the idea of teaching our students real-world writing purposes to prepare them better for their careers (such as a police officer).  He expresses many different writing purposes, and as a teacher (not just a scientist), I’ve realized that my own job requires I write well in regards to all of the purposes he has outlined.  (His writing purposes are the following: express and reflection, inform and explain, evaluate and judge, inquire and explore, analyze and interpret, take a stand and propose a solution.)  I can model these examples to my students through the perspective of an educator, but I can also pull examples from online of other professionals that have written in one of the six ways Gallagher outlined.  My favorite activity is modeling these to my students over the same topic, and then, through the Gradual Release of Responsibility Model, having my students accomplish this eye-opening task themselves.  While observing special education classes, I learned a sentence writing strategy that many of teachers used.  It is called Sentence Pyramid and basically is used to model to students how to build a sentence and allows them to more easily formulate sentences.  Not only is it a great modeling tool, but it is also a visual representation of sentence building.  The teachers would model a sentence, and then help their students complete a triangle, and then allow the students to attempt one on their own.  It has really helped the students in all the schools I've observed, and is definitely a tool I will use myself if I ever need to model sentence structure to a student.

(Teaching Ideas)
As a teacher, this meme of Success Baby, quite nicely summarizes the pride I'll feel in being a great teacher and not having to make up everything I want to teach:
(Memegenerator)
  

Accepted Challenge didn't Reinvent the Wheel. | S.... (n.d.). memegenerator.net. Retrieved July 1, 2014, from http://memegenerator.net/instance/36953761

Free Teacher Resources. (n.d.). Welcome to Discovery Education |. Retrieved July 1, 2014, from http://www.discoveryeducation.com/teachers/

Gallagher, K. (2011). Moving to the Front Burner. Write like this: teaching real-world writing through modeling & mentor texts (). Portland, Me.: Stenhouse Publishers.

Special Needs - General Ideas and Resources. (n.d.). Special Needs - General Ideas and Resources. Retrieved July 1, 2014, from http://www.teachingideas.co.uk/more/specialneeds/contents.htm

Teacher Ideas, Teaching Resources, and Lessons for PreK-12 Teachers | Scholastic.com. (n.d.). Scholastic Teachers. Retrieved July 1, 2014, from http://www.scholastic.com/teachers/teaching-resources

Teacher Resources and Classroom Management. (n.d.). Teacher Resources. Retrieved July 1, 2014, from http://www.theteacherscorner.net/teacher-resources/

No comments:

Post a Comment