Tuesday, July 15, 2014

What is Appropriate English

As educators we need to realized that students have different cultures and use a variety of different languages outside the classroom. When I refer to different languages I am also referring to slang and cultural speak that may not be deemed as appropriate educational language. The discussion that most resonated with me in class was about whether or not we should correct students if they use slang or other nonacademic languages in the classroom. I do see the validity of both sides. I agree with some of the students who said that they do not correct students as long as they are being sensitive to other students (not swearing or using offensive language) and using appropriate language in their written assignments. If someone corrects someone else on their speech, it may come off that they say you talk it better than the other person. But in reality, all cultures and people have their own unique way of conversing. One is no better than the other. So when you correct a student for using some sort of slang ('you finna' example) you are telling that student that they way they talk with their family and friends is lesser than the way they should be talking in school. And what kind of message does that give to the student? Not a positive one.
Now I can also see how this can be confusing to the student if you turn around and say they need to write appropriately for their written assignments. If you say that every language is equal, then why can't I write this way? In this way I agreed with the other half of the class that pointed out that you should be correcting students who use slang when speaking in the classroom because if the educator does not, how will they learn to appropriately converse when they need to use that academic speech. I know this seems lazy because I am not picking a side, but in reality I just haven't had enough experience to make an informed decisions. Maybe once I begin teaching I will be able to see one side is more useful that the other when using slang, but for now I see both sides.
We should not be judging students on they way the speak. They may just have different or less opportunities to learn proper, written English. But we should be educating students on how to speak 'appropriately' for certain situations. Students should be well versed on how to speak in a job interview and other professional settings. But they should also have the freedom to speak thee way they want to any other time in their lives. So there is a fine line between what is okay for us as educators as to when to correct a students language and to allow them to express themselves the way they feel appropriate.

4 comments:

  1. Before I started teaching, I thought it was my duty as an English teacher to correct every possible error I heard coming from a student's mouth. As soon as I entered my first classroom, I quickly realized that although I did not speak the same way as some of my students, they also did not speak the same way I do when I talk with my friends. In both writing and speaking, my friends use abbreviations or acronyms for an abundance of different things. If a random person where to listen in on a typical conversation, they would probably be confused at some point because they wouldn't know what exactly we were talking about. If anyone came up to me in the middle of a conversation with friends to correct me, I wouldn't be happy either.

    While I understand that the debate is mostly centered around different ways of speaking within a classroom, as you mentioned in your post, we as educators need to remember that students have many different identities that shape who they are. Most high students are just beginning to "find themselves" at this point in their lives; if I was in high school and was told the way I talked with friends was unacceptable, not only would I be angry with the teacher, but I also think would create issues for how I viewed myself and my culture.

    In short, especially at the high school age, students know what is acedmic writing and what is not. Even if they do not speak using professional language 24/7, the teacher should be teaching these skills to students anyways. By the time they are in high school, they know not to use slang within papers or homework assignments. However, if they are not aware, then its the teacher's job to educate them on professional writing and speaking as well as letting the students keep their identities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree it's a bit of a balancing act to respect the cultural differences in language while still equipping students with the literacy skills to succeed. Some of the discussions we've had in several classes this summer have really helped to frame the issue, and I like the idea of just attacking it explicitly in the classroom. We don't need to police every conversation between every student, but when it comes to writing or formally discussing content, we should encourage students to use the "code" that carries respect in the real world. Using the right code for the right situation is a skill in itself, and the classroom is a great forum to practice this skill.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree. We must learn to respect students and teach them as well, but this can be hard when it comes to speaking. This is also true when it comes to Spanish. There are so many different dialects in spanish but we are taught one specific way of speaking and writing it. When I was taking spanish courses at a university I was corrected often because I speak "Mexican Spanish." To be honest I didn't realize that I was speaking a different Spanish. It all sounded the same to me! What is "proper" Spanish anyway!? Eventually we were taught the different dialects and I was more aware of differences between them. That is when I started to realize how I spoke as opposed to the universal Spanish we are taught. Funny thing, even the Spanish people don't speak universal Spanish either... so they're wrong too!!! Well I shouldn't say wrong, but it isn't correct either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You made some great points, there is no easy answer to addressing a multitude of cultures. I feel that it is important to always keep in mind cultural differences when addressing various language codes. Providing our students with "proper grammar and english," especially when it comes to school work, is important because understanding how and when to code switch will be beneficial skill to have throughout their lives. I feel that teachers must always remain culturally sensitive to their diverse group of students, while maintaining an open and safe communication. A teacher has the opportunity to invite students to connect with their many identities and discover which language code is most appropriate for each identity (for example, friend, student, employee, etc.). However, if this isn't appropriated sensitively and appropriately a teacher may form a disconnect between themselves and his or her students. For example, a student when corrected may assume the teacher is disrespecting his or her culture and way of communicating and may lose interest and motivation in the classroom. This scenario can be avoided by understanding cultural differences and the importance of our students maintaining a connection to their own cultural and ways of communicating while they learn the new academic way of communicating.

    ReplyDelete